Friday, April 11, 2008

Making Smart Fast Food Choices

As I mentioned in my last post I would have tips or things of interest in regards to diet. I know with as busy as our home lives are, we tend to do the fast food thing. We often don't make the right choices in regards to the food we eat when we are out. Being informed is key, and that's why I'm totally loving the nutrition sections you can find on all your favorite fast food sites (Taco Bell, Wendys, Arbys, McDonald's, etc.). Most of them have a 'customize' your selection. Here you can see all the nutritional information...don't want cheese? Just remove the cheese from your selection and the new totals appear.

Burger King has the 3-1-1 on food. Here you can find tips on carbs, fat, etc., to help you make the right choices when eating at there. McDonald's has meal selections. This could be a combination of an egg mcmuffin with orange juice for breakfast. It, too, has the low down on the carbs, fat, etc.

I know that I had been ordering a Toasted Classic Italian Sub from Arby's with everything that came on it. The calorie of that baby was more than half of my caloric intake for the day! When I checked to see the values after I had started ordering it without the ham, garlic mayo, and italian dressing, it cut the calories down by over 200! Just taking out the mayo cut twenty, yes TWENTY grams of fat out of the meal, and 183 calories!

Sometimes I can't help but order things with everything on it, but, here's where another tip comes in, you have to burn 3500 calories just to lose 1 pound of fat. I have to ask myself is something worth it to have to work twice as hard to get it off? Most times it's no. I know you're thinking 'It should be all the time', but I don't think people necessarily have to deprive themselves. Treat yourselves once in awhile...the key is MODERATION.

2 comments:

Akelamalu said...

We have a takeaway on Fridays but the rest of the week I cook everything from fresh - so I suppose we do eat healthily. I just wish I could give up bread - my absolute downfall.

Unknown said...

Your right! I was also shocked about portions, too! I now use a smaller plate at home to keep me from filling up the empty spaces.

Eternal Flux

Apture