Friday, March 14, 2008

A Setback

It's amazing how long it has taken my body to recover from a fall that I had about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I still have a little sore spot in my left cheek, a hardened swollen area on my shin that still has no feeling to it, and I've been feeling unusually rundown.

Ever since I started the Cytomel, I had been feeling pretty decent. I was taking naps maybe only once or twice a week, sometimes not at all. But since that fall, almost everyday since, I have been so tired. It has thrown me off my whole exercise/diet routine as well. I was doing pretty well with it, but now I'm just maintaining the weight that I lost. At my heaviest, I was 223 lbs. and now I'm at 216 lbs. Who knew that I would even get over 200 lbs.? I used to have super metabolism, never went over 115 lbs. in my younger days, and when I had gotten big before, I lost the weight in 3 or 4 months just like that.

I joined up with thyroid.about.com not too long after I was diagnosed to better understand the disease and get options on how to deal with it day to day. They had a special sign up called, "4 weeks to weight loss", and I signed up for that. The patient advocate, and thyroid sufferer, Mary Shomon answered emails through this site. I was quite surprised that I had an answer. I had mentioned that I lost 1/2 lb. a week. This is when I was told that that was pretty good for those with thyroid problems. Normal people can lose about 5 lbs. a week on average. She mentioned that if I really wanted to lose weight with this disease, I would have to go down to around 1200 calories a day and eliminating all carbs, sugars, and fats.

I actually tried to go down to 1200 calories very slowly. First, 1800. Then 1600. I figured if I could do 1600 calories then surely I could do around 1300 next. I ended up getting very light- headed and had to eat the extra calories to feel better.

Before the fall, I had been very diligent at recording everything I ate in my weight-loss journal. But now, I'm back to square one. Hopefully, I can get back on track soon.

1 comment:

Akelamalu said...

I've got about another 35lb to lose (ideally), it's not easy but I'm determined to do it. Once you get back on track you'll do it too honey. x

Apture